All Info About Teen Reading

A companion blog to All Info About Teen Reading

Monday, March 05, 2007

Teacher Resource - Reading Reminders by Jim Burke

One of my all-time favorite teaching resources is Reading Reminders: Tools, Tips, and Techniques by Jim Burke. Even though I'm not currently teaching, and I've sold a few of my resource books because I didn't think I'd be using them any time soon, I just can't make myself part with this one. Jim Burke writes with a straightforward style while giving you a sense that he's a seasoned professional, sharing with you the tips that have made him a success. The book is a compilation of 100 reading strategies, and it includes numerous reproduceable graphic worksheets. This is a real hands-on book that is sure to leave you with ideas for your own classroom.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read I Read It, But I Don't Get It by Cris Tovani or When Kids Can't Read by Kylene Beers? How would you say Burke's book stacks up against these.

March 10, 2007 5:32 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

I haven't read either of those books, although I've heard good things about I Read It, But I Don't Get It. I feel like other books are more about changing your whole outlook on teaching reading, which is important, but Reading Reminders is more about the small changes you can make and the assignments you can add to your class to help students improve their reading skills. I think one area where Reading Reminders stands out from other reading books is the organization. There are 100 strategies; each one begins with a short rationale and then explains how to employ the strategy. I was also a big fan of the reproduceable graphic organizers and other resources in the back.

March 11, 2007 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home